Sunday 24 March 2013

Peter Grey Book Online

  I finally got this book edited and formatted, uploaded and published online.  It can be purchased here in paperback  and here in hardcover for a dollar more (unless you're ordering it outside the U.S. apparently, in which case they're almost the same price.) For some reason they won't let me charge less for the paperback, but as it's cheaper to make, I make a tiny profit on each one sold.  The hardcover, not so much. Not unless I want to charge, like, $30 for it, which I don't.  What I want is people to read the book.  That's my focus.  And the odd part is that when people order the book, I don't get to see who has ordered.  I just see that a book has sold and all the payment and shipping address stuff isn't my business.
  It is a fictionalized memoir.  It's my life, told in a number of different ways, with a focus on me working through my religious upbringing.  It's sad, it's nostalgic, it's intense, it's funny, it's dark, it's challenging, it's thought-provoking.
  Or so I believe.  And just in case it wasn't obvious at first glance:

  A couple of entries from this blog show up in the book, fictionalized.  (You read them here first, folks!)
  This story was originally going to be a concept album called The Story of Peter Grey, but that venture has been something I can't stop messing with and tweaking and never quite being able to tell the story properly with.  So it has become a lengthy, ficitonalized memoir instead.
  I can still work on the songs, but now the story has been told in a way that I think works.  It is the whole story about being born into the Plymouth Brethren church, growing up and wrestling through all of it, finding my way in the world, discovering friends, music, story and freedom.  And in all of that losing my faith in church, rather than in God.  (That's backwards, I realize)  It deals with things like the church divisions (with the actual letters showing up, with names changed to protect the guilty.)  It also deals with being a kid who loved Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and any amount of 80s crap.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Glad to see you've written this book and that Gabriel is supporting it. I hope it was cathartic. I can't wait to read it.