Saturday 18 September 2010

I Recorded!

I have for many months been mixing and playing with musical tracks and buying musical equipment and then not using it much.  I have had this battered old AKG 414 (very much a professional-grade rather than live, or good amateur microphone) for a couple of months and done very little with it.

I decided to do an "off the floor, no extras added, no metronome" track of a song with that and my other AKG mic.  I found that the microphone has a bit of a noise/connection problem which comes and goes.  I fiddled with it and got it working and ended up (as the two mics were set up anyway) recording three quiet songs that I do sometimes in public.

The mics picked up the noise of the fridge across the apartment way too much.  My renditions were not without some unmusicianly irregularity, but here they are:

  • Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (a song mainly about how sexual and religious ecstasy are both forms of well, ecstasy ), 
  • John Gorka's Flying Red Horses (a song mainly about the freedom to break free from the expecations of others)
  •  and U2's Running to Stand Still (a song about a couple using heroin in the Seven Towers projects near where Bono grew up).

No comments: