Monday 5 April 2010

Easter Monday Recording

Didn't feel like a very good Christian yesterday.  On Easter Sunday, instead of going to a church and singing about how Jesus raised from the dead, I lay on the futon and watched illegally downloaded Doctor Who from England, with a newly raised from the dead Doctor running around having adventures and being silly.  And then the Facebook Farisees looked for special consideration for "knowing the true meaning of Easter" and tut tutted about people calling it "Easter" instead of  "Resurrection Sunday" (without complaining about the "sun" in Sunday) and this bugged me, so the next day I wrote and recorded this song about that.

But what I really wanted to do was have a fresh go at this song that I have been adding loud guitars and drums and harmonicas and five-string bass guitars and pianos and stuff to in an attempt to make it less draggy and quiet.  I abandoned all that work and just recorded an even slower, stripped down version and tried to make it sad.  I even stole the silly "sad trombone" sound from www.sadtrombone.com to be a bit tongue-in-cheek about how sad I was trying to make it.  I made the snare backwards to sound a bit like Johnny Cash's new song "Ain't No Grave Gonna Keep Me Down," though they're probably doing something unbackwards to get that scraping sound.

No comments: