Monday 1 March 2010

Missed February entirely

Somehow.  It just happened that way.

Started the new semester at school after the usual being chased around by kids who hand things in at the end of the course and don't fail.  My newest classroom dealie is to lay out foam mats, each representing a decade of the 20th Century, and then have the kids correctly place items from a bucket of artifacts and toys, in the correct decades.  The trick is to refuse to let them guess, and refuse to help them find the right decade (they have computers, after all):

 



My montly routine is nicely broken up by taking a team of kids to compete in the regional Reach for the Top competitions.  This is like Jeopardy for high school kids, on local cable.  My kids beat every team they played the other week.  They is smart.

A hard drive of mine crashed this weekend.  It had important stuff in it.  I'm looking into getting the data recovered. Pricey, but almost worth it in this case.  A lot of edited and partly-edited video that I use in the classroom.  My mp3s and videos.  School stuff.

My nephew turned two this past weekend.  It was, therefore, fitting that I get him a plastic viking helmet and foam sword to run around with.  He got a riding toy and toy hockey sticks. He felt he needed to wear the helmet when using any of those and says "wear helmet" of his own accord very clearly for his age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think someone has a PC virus? I got the following, and i'll assume her married name is padavano, i don't have that in my address book:
From: paula padavano
To: @gmail.com
Subject: Hi
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 06:06:05 -0600
Reply-To: pthonney@ymail.com

Hi, I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now but I made a quick trip to London UK early this week and had my bag stolen from me in which contains my passport and credit cards. I know this may sound odd, but it happened very fast. I've been to the US embassy and they're willing to help me fly without my passport but I just have to pay for my ticket and settle some bills. Right now I'm out of cash and I can't access my bank without my credit card here, I've made contact with them but they need more verification. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some funds now and I'll pay back as soon as I get home. I need to get on the next available flight.

Please reply as soon as you can if you are OK with this so I can forward the details as to where to send the funds. You can reach me via May field hotel's desk phone if you can, the numbers are, 011447024051751 or 011447024043675 OR via my blackberry at pthonney@ymail.com

love
Paula

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I think she had a virus alright.
Wikkid Person