Sunday 30 November 2008

More Gaming Nerdosity

This weekend's nerdly activities involve capturing bits and pieces of video footage for the video console documentary I'm making.  I'm getting some PC game stuff too, to use for comparison.  I got an Atari 7800 emulator going, and got some 7800 games.  I got some more Colecovision ROMs and got some more Coleco game captures.  Then I started into the PC stuff.  I got Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Myst, Loom, Maniac Mansion and others.  I'm still installing some of them and messing about with the software.  

So far, I haven't figured out how to DOSBox the D&D games so the fighting takes place at a reasonable speed.  I also haven't got sound working for Loom, which is a game all about music.

 Wolfenstein 3D really pulled me in.  It's so simple and fast and easy.  The D&D ones were far too complex and old-school looking to draw me in casually. They require a commitment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think some old version of castle wolfenstein (not 3d) was the first game I ever played on a computer.

Wikkid Person said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein